I use collage, acrylics, photographs, antique paper, text, postal stamps, dollar bills, tarot cards, even insect wings! anything that is interesting for it's color or texture, to create new collages in different formats from canvases, to wood to journals! My new pieces are all for sale, so e-mail me if you're interested, enjoy!

Friday, July 07, 2006

skyline
If this picture needed a caption, it would be something like "I don't really want to be here right now"
When I saw that this week's topic of Illustration Friday was "skyline" I immediatly thought of NY City's skyline at night, which to me seems boring (and a friend just told me this week, it's been copyrighted!!!), so I started to think about other cities I know whith interesting skylines, I wanted modern buildings that would make an interesting figure when doing a white-black kind of drawing. As you can see here, I made up a new city, it has buildings that may not be buildable (If that's a word) in real life, and it might even be a different planet (did you see the two moons in the top right corner?) but thtat's not important, the focus of the illustration is actually what's goiong on in the front. There's a woman with a worried look in her face, and she seems to be thinking about being somewhere else. I don't really know what's happening in the city behind her. Is it on fire? Is it just the way she percieves the city because she doesn't like her life there, maybe?
What I know is that she seems a little aprehensive and ready to get going. What do you think is going on with the city? what's the place in the blue bubble? maybe home? or a vacation in the beach? One thing I know is that she's pretty emotional about it because her heart is pounding so fast!
The buildings are made with collaged paper (napkins, old journal pages) and then I drew some lines and windows, I also painted the white house in the blue bubble, (I had fun! it reminded me of my work as an architect), the paint I used is acrylic and the picture is from a magazine.
I think the picture would've looked better in black and white, but didn't have time to go make copies!
Thanks for listening.

9 Comments:

Blogger PittrPattr said...

That is excellent collage painting. by the way, I see the red in the city behind her as red autumn foliage behind the buildings.

12:02 AM

 
Blogger Rosa Murillo said...

you know? I don't know why I didn't think of that, but it makes sense! thanks for the input!

12:15 AM

 
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

Groovie- she does seem lost in a forrest- of buildings & people or otherwise.

12:50 AM

 
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Yeah! It looks like she wants to go on vacation, I see a palm tree there in the blue bubble! Road trip is calling your name!

2:11 AM

 
Blogger claudine hellmuth said...

I love this! your painterly brushstrokes are wonderful.

11:34 AM

 
Blogger Debbie said...

This is just wonderful! I love your postings because not only are your collages wonderful, I love your discussions. They are fun and informative!! Thank you!

10:31 PM

 
Blogger Powpourri said...

This is such a creative piece. This is my first time here so I dont know your normal media but looks like you combine collage images with your own drawings, great combination! Wonderful work! Brandi

6:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love both your illustration and your daughter's. They are both very creative.

1:18 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

this is interesting. i love how you depicted the sky. the two moons are my favorite.

11:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home