I use collage, acrylics, photographs, antique paper, text, postal stamps, dollar bills, tarot cards, even insect wings! anything that is interesting for it's color or texture, to create new collages in different formats from canvases, to wood to journals! My new pieces are all for sale, so e-mail me if you're interested, enjoy!

Monday, September 04, 2006

SAFE for Illustration Friday


The Stories they tell us to make us feel safe.





I made this painting a couple of years ago, it's called "Niños Heroes" or Heroic Children, It's about a story that is on the Mexican history text books (which doesn't mean is true) about these children soldiers (13 to 19 years old) that defended the Militar Academy in the Chapultepec Castle in Mexico City in 1873 from some bad guys (the American Army) and the story goes that they chose to die than to stop fighting them. I think the school system and the government tell us these stories to make us feel safe about our government in Mexico and trust that they would defend us with their own lives... maybe they did back in 1873....
I used a very old 5 000 peso bill with the illustration of these brave soldiers and I wrote their names in between.

www.rosamurillo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home